A musical for all ages, Ian Fleming’s Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is finally here in Manila! Before you immerse yourself in the “fantasmagorical” world of flying cars and Vulgarians, here are a few fun facts about the musical and its Manila production:
1. The musical tells the story of Caractacus Potts, his two children, and the new woman in their life. After restoring an old race car, they soon discover that it has magical properties, including the ability to float and fly. Trouble brews when the evil Baron Bomburst wants the car for himself.
2. Before it was adapted for the stage, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a 1968 film based on a children’s book written by Ian Fleming – author of the James Bond novels. It was first staged at the London Palladium in 2002.
3. The song “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” by the Sherman Brothers was nominated for an Oscar! They wrote several new songs for the theatre adaptation.
4. The car for the first British stage production cost £750,000 to build and is listed in the Guinness World Records as the most expensive stage prop ever.
5. The Manila production features a world-class cast including Newsies, Grease, and West Side Story veteran Gian Magdangal as the eccentric inventor Caractacus Potts, and two-time Aliw Awards Best Actress in a Musical nominee Yanah Laurel as his love interest Truly Scrumptious.
6. For the role of Jeremy Potts, Noel Comia alternates with Albert Solis while Isabeli Araneta-Elizalde and Zoey Alvarade share the role of Jemina Potts. Also cast in the production are Mako Alonso, Reb Atadero, James Paolleli, Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, Raymund Concepcion, Michael Williams, and Lorenz Martinez.
7. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Manila will be directed by Jaime Del Mundo, with assistant direction by Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, artistic direction by Michael Williams, and the music of the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Maestro Rodel Colmenar. The musical opens on October 21 at the Newport Performing Arts Theater in Resorts World Manila.
What’s your favorite stage musical? Comment your answers here or tag us on Facebook or Instagram @iamclaireph!